Supporters of school choice will gather at 10am on the steps of the state capitol this morning to demand that the legislature take steps to expand options for parents. AFP-GA will also release the the details of a survey outlining broad support for school choice.
Here in Georgia…
- The charter schools amendment, a fix to last year’s errant state Supreme Court decision, was filed yesterday.
- The American Legislative Exchange Council has its school policy Report Card. Georgia is ranked 27th in the nation in performance and receives a “B” in overall policy, which is near the top.
- Joe McCutchen, a conservative activist and father of GPPF’s Kelly McCutchen, was on The Daily Show on Monday.
- Rep. Paul Broun responds to the the State of the Union address.
- State Sen. Lester Jackson (D-Savannah) has filed legislation to abolish the death penalty.
- Don’t expect movement on a meaningful ethics bill this year.
- A Georgia football recruit may not be able to attend school this year because of UGA’s immigration policy.
National stories of interest…
- In case you missed it, here is text of President Obama’s State of the Union address. Don’t worry, it’s not like you haven’t heard the themes before. You can read Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels’ response here.
- Sen. Rand Paul, who was detained by the TSA on Monday, explains the problems with the agency.
- Despite SCOTUS rulings affirming the Second Amendment, anti-gun activists are still pushing for gun control measures.
- Filmmaker Oliver Stone says that he’d vote for Ron Paul over Obama.
- Ex-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says that a Gingrich presidency “will never happen.”
- During his introduction of Gingrich on Monday, this pastor said that “Mormonism is a cult.” Sigh.
A few that I like…
- Apple sold an astonishing 37 million iPhones in three months.
- Jay Greene, a school policy expert, explains that charter schools are “model of reform” for traditional public schools.