The lot where the Masonic Lodge now stands on Main Street in downtown Dallas was once the place where residents went to do business.
The original brick structure was built by Erastus Guile out of bricks that were made locally at a property on Confederate Avenue across from its intersection with Polk Street. It was accepted by Paulding County in 1853, and it was used as the county’s courthouse until 1892, when the historic courthouse across the street on the Dallas Square was built.
The Dallas Masonic Lodge was chartered in 1853, and they used a building across Memorial Drive from what is now Dallas City Hall—where Georgia Highlands currently has a building—for their meetings. But in 1892 when the county began using the new courthouse, the Masonic Lodge purchased the original courthouse building, using the upstairs for their meetings and