Many of us drive by it every day without really knowing what this historic home is all about.
Stepping through the threshold of the Root House is like stepping back in time and into the home of a Marietta merchant in the 1850s. The home depicts middle-class life in Georgia during that time period.
The Root House was built in 1845 by William and Hannah Root. William Root was Marietta’s first druggist and one of the earliest merchants in the city.
Originally located at the corner of Church Street and Lemon Street, the home now sits at the corner of North Marietta Loop and Polk Street. The Root family sold the house in the late 1880s, according to Katie Odom, Manager of Collections and Volunteers at the Root House Museum, Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society.
In 1891, the house was rolled to the back of the lot