SAVANNAH, Ga. –
Unattended cooking is being cited as the cause of a late afternoon house fire on Savannah’s southside.
Savannah Fire Emergency Services firefighters were sent to 14 Vineyard Drive just before 4:20 p.m. on Tuesday for reports of a structure fire. Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the front door and windows of the one-story brick home. Once inside the house, firefighters battled flames in the living room and kitchen/dining room areas. They were able to bring the blaze under control quickly and the fire was completely out within about 10 minutes. The house sustained extensive fire damage in the kitchen/dining area and living room. The rest of the house sustained heavy smoke and water damage.
Although two children were home at the time of the fire, neither was actually inside the residence when it started.